The following timeline shows the major events of Virgil UMC through the years of 1885-2015 when Virgil UMC’s 130th Anniversary was celebrated.
March 1885 – The Virgil Episcopal Church began with Holden Cook as leader.
Virgil, Wolsey, Bonilla and Baker’s Schoolhouse made up a Circuit with S. A. French as the first pastor. Virgil’s services were held in the schoolhouse in the afternoon.
October 1893 – for some unknown reason, all church members transferred to Alpena.
1893 – 1898 Church history is vague.
1889 – Dakota Territory becomes state of South Dakota.
1903 – C.L. Cone reorganized the Virgil church.
1905 – A church is built under the pastorate of A.B. Sheperd.
April 1, 1906 – The church was dedicated.
1910 – A bell was placed on the church called “The Probation Bell”.
1915 – Sunday School attendance was about 100.
1918 – The old church building was west of the tracks next to the hotel.
December 28, 1919 – The congregation grew so muchthat a new church building was built. The present church was dedicated on this date.
1929 – Virgil was served by pastors residing in Alpena beginning with J.E. Washburn’s pastorage.
October 27, 1935 – 50th Anniversary was celebrated with Rev. Eschliman as pastor.
April 5, 1953 – With Rev. A.L. Walker as pastor, 27 people were received as new members – the most members ever received at one time. He served the church for 8 years.
1960 – The church celebrated its 75th anniversary while Rev. Donald Greenough was the pastor.
1968 – The Methodist Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUB) to become the United Methodist Church.
1963-1971 – Virgil had no assigned pastor. The pulpit was filled by a lay person, Newton Staley of huron.
1968 – During Newton Staley’s lay leadership, an electronic organ was purchased with Ethel Bauder and Bonnie Guthmiller as organists.
June 1971 The new Riverview United Methodist Church in Huron became Virgil’s sister church and shared a common pastor, Re. Robert Feind.
1985 – The Virgil parsonage housed the S.H. Taylor Presbyterian family for 40 years. Later it was sold and moved to a lot in rural Huron.
2012 – Alice Bolte Wullweber, a dedicated church member and worker for over 80 years, passed away.
2012 – The organ and old upright piano were set aside and an electronic piano was purchased.
2015 – Current membership is 58 members plus 12 constituents and 15 preparatory members/children.